So here we are with Part 2 of “Formulating My Own Skincare” where I will share with you the ingredients I have used for my Night Cream. If you haven’t read Part 1, you can do so here.
For a night cream, I wanted something a little thicker than for day, and of course to include anti-aging and skin repair properties
.Here are the ingredients I have included:
- Apricot Oil – a finely textured oil which is easily absorbed making this a great choice for the face. This is the “main” oil in my formulation.
- Rosehip Oil –
- Abyssinian Oil – this oil is said to assist skin to recover from daily stresses (wind, pollution etc).
- Shea Butter – helps nourish and protect skin from both summer weather and the windy cold. It is a wonderful moisturiser.
- Coffee Extract – anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce redness.
- Natural Vitamin E – An antioxidant that is said to help smooth wrinkles and fight the signs of aging. It is also meant to be great for irritated skin.
- Emulsifying Wax – This important ingredient is what keeps the water and oils together (emulsified). It is vegetable derived and quite easy to work with. I am especially keen to try an olive based emulsifying wax that I have recently read about which is certified organic.
- Optiphen Plus (preservative) – All products that contain water needs a preservative to slow down or prevent fungal and microbial bacterial growth in creams (yuk!). I choose to use a paraben and formaldehyde free preservative. I am actually really keen to try Geogard Ultra which is a more natural preservative but harder to use in a formulation (and I didn’t want to stuff up my batch of all these expensive oils).
Very happy with this cream. It is thick and feels soothing and nourishing. I will post an update in a few weeks of how both the day and night creams are going 🙂
Coming up next… Anti-wrinkle eye serum with Seabuckthorn Oil.
Information from my favourite suppliers http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au and escentialsofaustralia.com.
Disclaimer: Please be aware that I am not making any claims regarding the abovementioned ingredients, they are just what I have chosen (from my own research) to include in my skincare for home use.